We invite you to watch the welcome video from Gathering Wisdom X in January 2020 which celebrates our history of reclaiming health and wellness for First Nations in BC.
REGISTRATION INFO / Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey XII
A three-day, in-person Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey XII Forum (GW XII) will take place from Tuesday, February 28 to Thursday, March 2, 2023 at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
The forum will require pre-registration – a registration link and draft agenda will be distributed in advance of the session.
Please stay tuned for registration details.
FAQs / Frequently Asked Questions
When will the Gathering Wisdom forum be happening this year?
This year Gathering Wisdom will be held at the Vancouver Convention Centre from Tuesday, February 28 to Thursday, March 2, 2023.
Why is it important that Chiefs attend the Gathering Wisdom forum?
It is important that Chiefs have information to support the health and wellness work they do in community. The Gathering Wisdom forum is an important part of the health governance process. It is an opportunity to provide Chiefs with an update on progress and discuss future strategic direction for the BC First Nations health governance structure.
Who is invited to attend?
Similar to the Regional Caucuses, we are pleased to invite three (3) representatives from each BC First Nation community in BC. This includes:
- Political Lead (e.g. Chief or Proxy)
- Health Lead (e.g. Health Director, Community Health Representative, or Health Portfolio Holder on Council)
- Social Lead (e.g. Social Development Director, Social Development Worker, or Children and Family Worker)
It is up to each community to choose how they want to participate in the virtual Gathering Wisdom forum this year within the three affiliations described above. Given the focus of this year’s event, the participation of political representatives from each community is encouraged by the FNHC.
In addition, we are pleased to invite one (1) representative from the following:
- First Nation Umbrella Health Provider
What is the ‘social lead’ category on registration?
As the discussion on the social determinants of health is broader than health services, ‘social lead’ is fit to include representatives that have a responsibility for health and social services in their community. A ‘social lead’ may include, but is not limited to, a Band Manager, Social Development Director, Social Development Worker, Social Worker, or Children and Family Worker. These are examples – each community should select the most appropriate representative to attend for their community.
How do I register?
Registration for this event will be forthcoming soon.
PREVIOUS EVENTS / Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey
Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey X
On January 14-16th, 2020 Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey X, hosted at the Vancouver Convention Centre on the traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations, celebrated the ten year milestone of Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey.
Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey IX
- Honouring Qut-Samet, Leonard George
- Cancer and First Nations Peoples in BC
- Presentation from the FNHA – Dr. Shannon McDonald and Joe Gallagher
- Role of Health Resilience and Healing in Nation Rebuilding – Satsan Herb George
- Role of Leaders in Community Health and Wellness – Chief Dean Nelson
- Role of Leaders in Community Health and Wellness – Nathan Matthew
- Role of Leaders in Community Health and Wellness – Chief Jackie Thomas
- Wholistic Approaches to Health and Wellness Planning – A Continuing Success of the Tahltan Kaska Tlingit and BC
- Wholistic Approaches to Health and Wellness Planning – Syilx Wellness Framework
- Wholistic Approaches to Health and Wellness Planning – Wet’suwet’en Wellness
- Remembering a Healthy Future – Terry Cross and Shirley Williams
Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey VIII